Monday, September 4, 2017

Ellen's letter to Leon, Jan 1968

In this letter, Ellen talks about her ongoing separation and property issues with Sylvan.  Grace had died just 2 months prior (Nov 4, '67) and Leon was separated/divorced.









Dear Leon,
    Surprise!  I'm finally perking up a bit and writing letters.  The telephone bills have taught me to try my hand with letters for a change.
     Eldora and Gary honored us with a visit 2 weeks ago when she figured she'd catch you down here!  What a life!  Well, anyway they invited me up to visit them on Jan 13 to see the Senior benefit program and I had planned to get there but we were having sleet and it seemed wise to stay in.  I stayed in and worked Sat. Jan 13 11-7, night.  Of course they got here 2 weeks ago while Ralph and I were out and Lois gave us quite a lingo about what she and Gary were supposed to have told her.  Wait a minute this paragraph is sort of mixed up but I guess it doesn't matter.
     One big reason for this letter is that the Bank in Mineral is reluctant to foreclose and they have held off waiting for me to see them.  They want me to sign a brief five day note for the 350 plus the 79 of mothers that I had asked to be taken out of the place up there. Then let that note default and then they would have a better chance of getting that money out of the McGhee place.  The lawyer's fee for handling the foreclosure will be $250.00!
     Friday Sylvan called me at school and told the secretary it was Ralph so I called him back.  I notified my lawyer and he suggested we meet Sylvan.  We did and he got Sylvan to sign my divorce papers, so the first part will be completed around Feb. 15, 1968.  Also S. B. gave me back my diplomas etc. and the copies of the two deeds! so that meeting was worth while.  He wanted to sell McGhee place and I told him if he could to go ahead and he could contact Mr. Goddin, my lawyer and we would complete the papers when all the bills were paid including the Peoples Finance.  Well, Myrtle Hall called me last night to tell me where he was, but I didn't go to see him as I had nothing for him to sign.  I took off work today and Ralph went with me to Louisa and we saw Mr. Rischardson and Ralph saw the Sheriff.  Mr. Rischardson is very nice and helpful now and he is willing to wait a little while to get Sylvan to sign the property off so I can handle it myself and save the lawyers fees!  When Sylvan calls next time my lawyer will have deeds for both properties ready, and if I could have 2 or 3 hundred dollars ready I think I could get Sylvan's signatures and get him out of my hair.  If you could send me some, it would help a great deal.


Ralph and I are concerned about when or how we could get the tings in mother's house assigned to those who want them.  Could we do it by sending copies of the inventory around?   Will you be available anytime this summer, if so what week?  Since Sylvan is around, I don't go up home anymore for awhile unless someone were with me.  I got most of the things from up at McGhees except the furniture and a couple of trunks.  The bedstead should be brought down to replace the one that was upstairs in my old room.  Lois' mother needed a bed as I am sleeping in hers and Ralph and I didn't figure anybody particularly cared for it but if they do we will consider returning it to them.
     It seems to me that the things that can be used might better be used than to let them just sit there.
     Did I tell you the trailer is in my name now?  The bank repossessed it for me and sold it back to me for what was owed plus refinance charges.
     Anyway things are beginning to shape up for me.  Hope things are working out for your.  You know Leon, there are so many sings that time is running out.  I do hope that things will work out so you will find happiness again.  I don't expect to ever find happiness in marriage, it seems to me the chances for a Miles to pick a suitable mate are almost nil.
     Well, I must hurry and get some papers ready for work tomorrow.  let us hear from you soon.  I plan to visit May the first weekend the weather is nice.
                                                                                   Lovingly you sister,
                                                                                             Ellen

No comments:

Post a Comment