Friday, July 4, 2014

Sylvia Burbank Miles letter to Ellen Miles Cunningham (11.5.1967) with included picture postcard from Henry Miles to son Carroll Miles (3.18.1919)

Letter from Sylvia Burbank Miles to Ellen Miles Cunningham. Sylvia's husband was Harold Henry Miles, brother to Carroll Miles.  Her letter included a picture postcard (which was how they used to send pictures in the really old days) of Henry sent to Carroll.

Craftsbury, Vt
Nov. 5, 1967
Dear Ellen,
It was nice of you to send me some wedding pictures, they reached me in good condition.  I wrote and thanked you for them and sent the letter to your Richmond, Va. address.  One of my friends here would like a picture of the four of us, the two mothers, Philip and Pauline standing on the church steps. I wondered if you could get a picture for me sometime soon.

You asked for a picture of your Grandfather Miles but I didn't know as I had one but since then and in looking over pictures upstairs have located one. You will

find the picture enclosed in this letter.  The writing seems to indicate that it is he and it was sent to your parents in South Lancaster when Myrtie was a baby.

I never met him but heard him talking one night at my home in Chelsea, Vt.  I had gone to bed upstairs though.

It seems probably that in the near future that I will be moving to Morrisville, Vt. to an apartment there.  The writing (?) and deed goes through this week I will sell this place and rent an apartment over there.  It will be better to be nearer church, have a smaller place to heat, etc,

Philip and Pauline come over quite often and I expect them this  pm.  Philip still works at the garage in St. Johnsbury when he has right along (?).  

Sincerely, Sylvia Miles



19 Hill St. Battle Creek Mich.
March 18th 1919
Our Dear Love Ones:
We recieved the bonnet and think its very pretty many thank for it.  Etta said it was a nice peice of work.  

Your Father was busy and told me to write.  He has a hard cold and a soar hand.  Kenneth has a hard cold also.  We haven't had any pictures taken of him yet.  Will try and have our pictures taken this summer and shall remember you with one.

Love to all and kiss baby Myrtie for me.  Blanche

(the Etta that is mentioned is Etta Brooks Miles wife of Perry Miles, brother to Henry)

No comments:

Post a Comment