Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Myrtie Miles Page adopts Reed

This is a letter, from Myrtie, to Ellen on June 25th, 1953.  She was telling Ellen her news.

 Mineral, Va.
June 25, 1953
Dear Ellen;

Well, maybe I'm so bad as you for writting, but here I am getting around to answer you letter with the check.  It sure comes in at a time we need it.

 The weather is real hot here.  Mom's small garden is wilting in the hot sun.  Mom's got 3 skunks now and she and Meek set traps at night.

Say, we have a family of Brown Thrushes in the grape vine by the drive-way.  I think there is four anyway.

Charlie is working and he wants to get on a 5 day job instead of 5 1/2 and 6 and long hours.  And away nights.

Ellen would you be mad with me if you knew you have a nephew?  You see, I went in debt $135 and then
too Dr. Lineweaver and another doctor in the same building told me to quit work because my heart was acting up.  They told me to have a electiccardiogram taken as soon as I can.  So I went to the hospital to Dr. Bamturd (sp?) to have it done and his nurse told me I had a baby upstairs.  You see this lady didn't want to baby and she found out I did and she told me to get a doctor and lawyer and she would sign anything off to me if I would pay her doctor and hospital bill.  So I told her sure, I'd wanted a girl but I'll take whatever she has.  And she had a sweet little boy weighing 6 lbs, 8 oz and now at a month old he is weighing 10 lbs.

I had to think quick and fast for a boys name so I finally named him "Reed Paul".  So while his mother sold him for $85.00 I am paying $135 because I want to keep him for

life, but I wouldn't take three times I paid for him.  She was like getting out of jail when I came to see her and so I went and had to get my lawyer so she could sign the consent to the baby to me.  Oh, Ellen, he is cute now, he laughs and cries like time when his daddy don't come in.  Charlie wanted a boy and she had it.  And while I was content to stop work yet I was surprised to come home with a baby.  I sure wished I had taken his length when I came home.  Now he is 23 inches long.

Now, I hope and pray that I can raise him up to love and serve the Lord when he grows up.  Reed has light brown hair and blue eyes now.  But they are changing.  You know I went to take him to church twice and on his first visit Elder Frye

made quite a speech on him.  I wanted to go to campmeeting but I guess that we can't go only on the last Sabbath.   So I'm planning to go this Sabbath.  

Mother is going to pick string beans the last of this week and I will have beet greens.

Mother had to take the boys up to get their last shots and Phillip was vaccinated this morning.

Well I must go and try to mend up some clothes and feed Reed this afternoon.  May God bless you and guide you in your work is my prayer.
Love as ever,
Myrtie
P.S. I will send you a picture of Reed when I get some.

Reed Page.



I'm guessing Reed and Dad, Charlie Page.

I'm guessing Reed and dad, Charlie Page.

"Snowfall in March 1956.  Reed found it irresistible!"


Reed Page

No comments:

Post a Comment